Every single one of us who has read the absolute piercing horror of the crucifixion recalls the final words of Christ Himself. Having brought unto Himself all the horror of mankind, throughout our entire existence, he uttered the phrase, "It is finished"...
I do not believe most of us realize how very heavy this phrase is, or, perhaps you do. But I feel that it needs a little more circulation.
The word in Greek was "Tetelestai". I stumbled upon it while combing through my Greek New Testament recently in the full tackle of a challenge presented by my youth pastor.
The word jumped out at me, firstly, because I could read it clearly in the Greek text. (This happens sometimes, for reasons I still do not know.) After a little research, I came to find that the last words of Christ, in reference to His brutal execution, had an incredible amount of implication behind them.
The word Tetelestai not only literally means, "It is finished", but implies complete, perfect, fullness. It means that something was begun, fulfilled, completed in the most superlative manner obtainable possible. As well as the action, the thing that was finished, will have incredible consequences.
Now, one could argue that Jesus likely spoke a dialect of Aramaic, but that's not relevant. Assuming that the Bible is Truth (which I believe it is), it was meant to be best understood as this word, Tetelestai.
Just something to contemplate...
-Bethany
No comments:
Post a Comment